Press Release


Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz today announced that a 21-year-old Queens man has been sentenced to prison for 2 to 6 years after pleading guilty to manslaughter in the second degree for the May 2018 auto crash that killed a woman and injured 2 others in a Lyft share-ride vehicle at the intersection of Archer Avenue and Guy R. Brewer Boulevard in Jamaica, Queens.

Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz said, “This was a horrible collision that could have easily been prevented. The defendant in this case exceeded the speed limit and then continued through a solid red light. The car slammed into another vehicle – killing the passenger in that car and injuring the driver and another passenger.”

The District Attorney identified the defendant as Alfaheed Odesanya, 21, of 101st Avenue in Ozone Park, Queens. Odesanya pleaded guilty in December 2019 before Queens Supreme Court Justice Michael Aloise, who yesterday imposed a sentence of 2 to 6 years in prison.

District Attorney Katz said that, according to the charges, at approximately 11:05 p.m. on May 24, 2018, defendant Odesanya was operating a 2018 white Mercedes Benz northbound on Guy R. Brewer Boulevard going toward Archer Avenue at a high rate of speed when he drove through a steady red light and struck the passenger side of a 2015 Hyundai that was traveling eastbound on Archer Avenue. Odesanya left the scene of the incident without reporting the crash that led to another person’s death.

Gabriella Deen, 19, of Springfield Gardens, the rear passenger of the Hyundai, suffered head trauma as a result of the collision and was later pronounced dead at a local Queens hospital. The second passenger of the Hyundai was also taken to a nearby Queens hospital with possible spinal fractures. The driver of the Hyundai was treated for neck and back injuries. After the collision, Odesanya – driver of the Mercedes – exited the vehicle, fled the scene and was apprehended shortly thereafter.

District Attorney Katz said that according to the complaint, at the time of arrest, the defendant admitted that he “was driving between 55 and 60 mph” that he “saw the light was yellow and then turned red and continued driving through the intersection.” The defendant stated in sum and substance that he “was scared and didn’t know what to do, so I took off running,”

Assistant District Attorney Gabriel Mendoza of the District Attorney’s Gang Violence and Hate Crimes Bureau, under the supervision of Mariela P. Herring, Bureau Chief and Michelle Goldstein, Deputy Bureau Chief, prosecuted the case with the assistance of Assistant District Attorney Michael J. Curtis, then of the District Attorney’s Homicide Investigations Bureau, under the supervision of Assistant District Attorneys John W. Kosinski, Chief of the District Attorney’s Vehicular Homicide Unit, and Peter J. McCormack III, Deputy Bureau Chief, and the overall supervision of Executive Assistant District Attorney for Major Crimes Daniel A. Saunders.

**Criminal complaints and indictments are accusations. A defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty.