Press Release


Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced today that Raymond Jackson, 22, who has been on the run since he allegedly shot to death a man in September, has been apprehended and returned to Queens to face charges. The defendant was indicted for murder and other crimes along with his mother, Avita Campbell, who has been in custody since her arrest following a traffic stop in October.

District Attorney Katz said, “This mother and son duo allegedly teamed up to kill a man. A minor dispute over a few hundred dollars sparked this tragic shooting. The pair sought out the victim and, when they found him, the son allegedly fired more than dozen shots at him. The mother was allegedly armed with a metal pipe. This was a brutal, senseless killing that should not happen in our neighborhoods. Both defendants are now in custody and face very serious charges.”

Jackson, who lived with his 38-year-old mother on Hook Creek Boulevard in Valley Stream, Long Island, was arraigned late yesterday before Queens Supreme Court Justice Ushir Pandit-Durant. Jackson is charged in the 10-count indictment with murder in the second degree, criminal possession of a weapon in the second degree and unlawful possession of personal identification information in the second degree. Campbell is additionally charged in the same indictment with criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree, criminal mischief in the fourth degree, aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle in the third degree and operating or driving a motor vehicle without a license. Campbell was arraigned in Supreme Court in October. Justice Pandit-Durant set Jackson’s return date for January 19, 2021. Campbell is also scheduled to appear in Court on that date. If convicted, the defendants face up to 25 years-to-life in prison.

DA Katz said, at approximately 5:40 p.m. on September 23, 2020, both defendants were seen on video surveillance exiting a white BMW on Beach 31st Street near Seagirt Avenue in Far Rockaway, Queens. Both defendants were allegedly armed – Campbell holding a metal pipe and Jackson carrying a handgun. The victim, Lasaaun Lawrence, was seated inside of a double parked car at the location. As the pair approached the 27-year-old, defendant Jackson raised his arm and allegedly aimed and fired at the victim. About a dozen shots rang out and the victim was struck by multiple bullets.

Continuing, said the DA, when Jackson stopped shooting his mother allegedly slammed the pipe into the victim’s car’s windshield, causing the glass to shatter. Jackson and Campbell then jumped back into the BMW and fled the scene.

The victim, who lived in the area, died as a result of the gunshot wounds.

On October 2, 2020, according to the charges, Campbell was driving the same white BMW when police pulled her over for a traffic stop. Police executed a Court-authorized search warrant and allegedly found a loaded silver and black handgun and two magazines inside a book bag. Defendant Campbell was arrested at that time on weapons charges and arraigned in Criminal Court.

According to the indictment, ballistics tests performed on the recovered gun by the New York City Police Department’s Firearms Section revealed it was allegedly a match for the gun used to shoot and kill Mr. Lawrence.

The investigation was conducted by Detective Andre Figueiredo of the NYPD’s 101st Detective Squad under the supervision of Detective Sergeant Courtney Cummings.

Assistant District Attorney Jonathan Selkowe, of the District Attorney’s Homicide Bureau is prosecuting the case, under the supervision of Assistant District Attorneys Brad L. Leventhal, Bureau Chief, Peter J. McCormack, III, Senior Deputy Bureau Chief, John W. Kosinski and Kenneth Appelbaum, Deputy Bureau Chiefs and under the overall supervision of Executive Assistant District Attorney for Major Crimes Daniel A. Saunders.

**Criminal complaints and indictments are accusations. A defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Recent Press