Press Release


Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced today that Mark Gibbs, 23, has been indicted by a Queens County grand jury and arraigned in Supreme Court on attempted murder, assault and other charges. The defendant allegedly fired multiple shots into a crowd on the street during an altercation on the street last July. Defendant Sevaughn Green, 20, also indicted in incident.

District Attorney Katz said, “As alleged, the defendants in this case showed no regard for the lives of innocent people as they brazenly fired into a large crowd on the street in an attempt to shoot an off-duty Correction officer. Thankfully, the swift response from the wounded officer prevented further bloodshed.  Both individuals have now been apprehended and will be held to account for their alleged criminal actions.”

Gibbs, of Parsons Blvd, was arraigned before Queens Supreme Court Justice Toni Cimino on an 8-count indictment charging him with attempted murder in the second degree, assault in the first and second degree, two counts of criminal possession of a weapon in the second degree and reckless endangerment in the first degree. Justice Cimino ordered the defendant to return to court on October 26, 2022. Defendant Green, of Dewitt Avenue, Brooklyn, was arraigned on Tuesday before Queens Supreme Court Justice John Zoll on the same indictment and was ordered to return to court on October 25, 2022.  Both defendants each face up to 25 years in prison, if convicted.

District Attorney Katz said, according to the charges, at approximately 8:03 p.m. on July 3, 2022, an altercation was observed in the intersection of 214th Place and Jamaica Avenue by the victim, David Donegan. During the altercation, Mr. Donegan observed defendant Green approach a man and attempted to punch him in the face.  Defendant Green then approached defendant Gibbs and retrieved a weapon from his waistband.  As Mr. Donegan attempted to break up the altercation, defendant Gibbs then retrieved another weapon from his crossbody bag and began firing into the crowd.

As Mr. Donegan turned to run away, he was hit in the back of his calf. He then drew his licensed firearm from his waistband and returned fire striking defendant Gibbs three times in the torso.  Defendant Gibbs dropped to the ground and defendant Green crouched down near defendant Gibbs and then began shooting towards the crowd and Mr. Donegan.  At that point, Mr. Donegan returned fire striking defendant Green in the leg.

The victim was taken to a local Queens hospital where he was treated for a gunshot wound to his calf.

Assistant District Attorney Nicole Rella, of the Career Criminal Major Crimes Bureau, is prosecuting the case under the supervision of Assistant District Attorneys Shawn Clark, Bureau Chief, Michael Whitney, Deputy Bureau Chief, and under the overall supervision of Executive Assistant District Attorney for Major Crimes Daniel Saunders.

**Criminal complaints and indictments are accusations. A defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty.