Press Release


Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced that David Bonola today pleaded guilty to manslaughter for the brutal slaying of Orsolya Gaal, whose body was discovered in a sports duffel bag near Forest Park.

District Attorney Katz said, “This heinous killing devastated an entire family, left two boys without a mother, and horrified the surrounding community. I want to thank my prosecutors for their exhaustive efforts in securing this plea. In pleading guilty, the defendant has accepted responsibility and is being held fully accountable for his criminal actions. We express our sincerest condolences to the victim’s family and hope that today’s plea will allow them to begin to heal.”

Bonola, 44, of 114th Street in South Richmond Hill, Queens, pleaded guilty to one count of manslaughter in the first degree before Queens Supreme Court Justice Michael Aloise, who said he would sentence the defendant to 25 years in prison to be followed by five years post-release supervision.  Sentencing is scheduled for November 16, 2022.

According to the charges, Bonola went to the victim’s home at approximately 12:30 am on Saturday, April 16.  Gaal, 51, had just returned to her Juno Street home from an evening out. The defendant, a handyman who had done work at the residence on several occasions, entered the home.  Bonola and the victim were arguing when the defendant slashed Gaal’s throat and stabbed her more than 50 times.

Hours later, at approximately 4:15 am, Bonola is captured on a nearby home’s security video surveillance footage wheeling a hockey duffel bag belonging to one of the victim’s sons.  The bag, containing Gaal’s body, was found at about 8:00 am on Metropolitan Avenue, near Union Turnpike, in the vicinity of Forest Park.

Police were able to follow the trail of blood from the bag to the crime scene – the Juno Street home where the victim resided with her husband and two sons.

During the subsequent investigation, police recovered the murder weapon hidden in the victim’s home and the defendant’s jacket inside Forest Park.

Days later, the defendant offered to speak to police and during questioning made incriminating statements. He revealed that some time on Saturday he went to a New York City hospital for a cut on his hand. He also stated in sum and substance that he and the victim argued and confessed to stabbing her and moving her body.

The investigation was conducted by Detectives John Petzolt and Todd Keyes of the New York City Police Department’s 112th Precinct and Detectives Carmine Caruso and Joe Bey of the NYPD’s Queens North Homicide Squad.

Assistant District Attorney John Kosinski, Senior Deputy Bureau Chief of the Homicide Bureau, is prosecuting the case with the assistance of Assistant District Attorney Antonio Vittiglio, under the overall supervision of Executive Assistant District Attorney for Major Crimes Daniel A. Saunders.