Press Release



Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced that Rodolfo Montero was sentenced today to 18 years in prison for firing an assault rifle at officers responding to a 911 call from his girlfriend and mother. After assaulting his girlfriend in the presence of their 1-year-old child, Montero pulled out the rifle and threatened to kill her. She and Montero’s mother fled with the child and called police.

District Attorney Katz said: “The officers risked their lives. Thankfully, they were not injured. The women in the defendant’s life were also clearly victims. I urge those being impacted by domestic violence to contact us before it’s too late. If you need safety planning services, or help in securing an order of protection or shelter placement, call our 24-hour DV Helpline, at 718-286-4410.”

Montero, 29, of 125th Street in College Point, pleaded guilty last month to attempted murder in the second degree. He was sentenced today to 18 years in prison followed by five years of post-release supervision by Queens Supreme Court Justice Stephanie Zaro.

According to the charges:

  • On the morning of September 13, 2020, Montero and his 28-year-old girlfriend argued in their home on 125th Street in College Point. He put his hands on her neck and choked her.
  • Later that day, Montero punched his girlfriend in the face in front of their 1-year-old child. When Montero’s mother tried to intervene, he slapped her in the face.
  • Montero pulled out an assault rifle and threatened his girlfriend’s life. She and Montero’s mother fled the home with the child and called police.
  • Police responded at approximately 4:30 p.m. As two uniformed officers got out of their patrol car, Montero fired multiple rounds from an assault rifle at them from a second-floor window of his home. The shots hit a car parked behind the police car.
  • The officers took cover. Montero fired additional rounds from a first-floor window before exiting the home and surrendering. An assault rifle and other ballistic evidence was recovered from the residence.

Assistant District Attorney Lauren Reilly of the District Attorney’s Career Criminal Major Crimes Bureau prosecuted the case under the supervision of Assistant District Attorneys Michael Whitney, Bureau Chief, and Roni C. Piplani, Deputy Chief, and under the overall supervision of Executive Assistant District Attorney of the Major Crimes Shawn Clark.