Press Release


Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz today announced that Matthew Stockfeder, 24, has been sentenced to 6 years in prison following a jury conviction in March to assault charges. The defendant and the victim – both former lacrosse teammates at St. John’s University – argued during a dispute in October 2019. The confrontation led to the defendant pulling out a knife and stabbing the then-23-year-old victim.

District Attorney Katz said, “An argument about a late-night party escalated to blows and then bloodshed when the defendant committed a senseless act of violence. A jury of his peers found the defendant guilty. The Court today has sentenced him to prison for his criminal behavior.”

Stockfeder, of Alderfield Lane in Melville, Long Island, was found guilty in March of assault in the first degree and criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree following a three-week-long jury trial. Today, Queens Supreme Court Justice Stephen Knopf, who presided at trial, ordered the defendant to be incarcerated for 6 years to be followed by 5 years’ post release supervision.

DA Katz said that, according to trial testimony, on the evening of October 22, 2019, the victim was attempting to sleep in the home he shared with the defendant and other members of the lacrosse team. The 23-year-old man complained about noise from an on-going party and told his teammates he had to work early the following day. But, even after agreeing to relocate the party Stockfeder was angry about having to leave the residence.

Continuing, according to Court records, the two men argued back and forth over a group text message. After being called a loser by the defendant, the victim left the house and went to the new party-site and confront Stockfeder. When the two men finally came face-to-face, the defendant raised his arms as if he might strike the victim. That’s when the victim countered by punching the defendant, who fell to the ground. Other students at the party grabbed the victim and when the defendant stood up, he pulled out a knife and stabbed the victim twice in the abdomen.

The victim was rushed to an area hospital where he underwent life-saving emergency surgery to repair a laceration to his small intestine.

Assistant District Attorney Konstantinos Litourgis, of the District Attorney’s Career Criminal Major Crimes Bureau, prosecuted the case under the supervision of Assistant District Attorneys Shawn Clark, Bureau Chief, Michael Whitney, Deputy Bureau Chief, and under the overall supervision of Executive Assistant District Attorney for Major Crimes Daniel Saunders.


Posted in