BRONX MAN CONVICTED AT TRIAL OF MURDER IN BOTCHED SOUTH RICHMOND HILL HOME INVASION IN 2016
Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz announced today that Jose Pichardo, 27, has been convicted at trial of murder and other crimes for his participation in a botched home invasion that resulted in the death of a 20-year-old man. The victim was stabbed to death when the defendant and others allegedly broke into a South Richmond Hill home in November 2016.
District Attorney Katz said, “Following a nearly two-week-long trial, a jury found this defendant guilty of murder in the death of a young man, who was playing video games when he was suddenly attacked in a friend’s home. This defendant participated in a horrible act of violence. He now faces a lengthy term of incarceration when sentenced by the Court.”
Pichardo, of Creston Avenue in the Bronx, was found guilty yesterday of murder in the second degree and two counts of burglary in the first degree. Queens Supreme Court Justice Michael Aloise, who presided at trial, set the defendant’s sentencing for October 26, 2021. At that time, Pichardo faces up to 25 years-to-life in prison.
According to trial records, at approximately 2 a.m. on November 30, 2016, Pichardo along with three others allegedly entered a home on 110th Street in South Richmond Hill, Queens. The defendants had been told by a fifth co-defendant that the occupant of the home was a friend of her ex-boyfriend and that they could find Xanax pills, marijuana and cash inside.
DA Katz said, the defendants found Eddie Ventura, 20, in a bedroom playing video games with two others. Pichardo’s co-defendant Khalil Moses, who was armed with a knife, fought with Mr. Ventura and stabbed him numerous times in the back and thigh. Mr. Ventura died as a result of the stab wounds.
Defendant Moses pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the first degree and was sentenced to 21 years in prison in September 2020. Pichardo’s brother John Pichardo pleaded guilty to burglary in the first degree and was sentenced in July 2020 to 15 years in prison. The cases against the fourth and fifth defendants are pending.
Deputy Bureau Chief Timothy J. Regan, of Felony Trial Bureau IV, prosecuted the case under the supervision of Bureau Chief Karen Rankin and the overall supervision of Executive Assistant District Attorney Pishoy Yacoub of the Trial Division.